Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, July 19, 2013

VP-X Power Up HOBBS 2098.5 hrs

Last week, after doing my individual tests for the high $$ items, it was time to fire up the system with the Vertical Power box running the show. This was a little nerve wracking, since essentially I have three expensive computers (VP-X, GDU375 and SkyView) to power up (although almost all electronics these days could be called a computer).


Before I get to that, this is photo of my CO detector as I got it terminated and tied into the SkyView. This is supposed to display PPM directly on the SkyView.


I broke out the laptop, which has the Vertical power configurator software installed, and plugged it directly into the VP box. Threw the master switch, and like music to my ears, heard the distinctive "clunk" of the solenoid engaging. I then connected the VP to the network. On comes the SkyView...very cool!!! But...that was it, nothing else fired up?! I was slightly concerned over this...I thought how could I have screwed up my wiring that bad?

Well, a quick check of the install manual told me that the VP is set up to just apply power to the primary EFIS to be safe. I then can manually turn on each component individually through the configurator. So cool to watch each item power up on cue. I can change these settings later and save it but for now I am sticking with the default configuration.

So far I am loving the VP-X...it is a really nice system.


So, here ya go...a pic showing all the panel devices powered up by the VP box. I played around with the SkyView and 375 for a while before shutting it down and calling the initial power up a marginal success. No smoke!

I say "marginal" because I had multiple Comm problems that I will talk about in my next post. But other than that, everything else worked just fine. The flaps, trim motors and Comm swap on the stick worked...although the flaps were reversed (up was down)...I'll deal with that later, not a big deal.


My hangar mate, Bill, snapped a photo for a memento of the occasion.


We got a new hangar airplane, Scott "Ginsu" Ginn of the Renegades needed a place for his 'new to him' RV4. It was built in '96 and is still in great shape. Rumor is it flies real nice too.

Lastly, I just logged my 200th flight hour this week in the Citabria. My flight training goals outlined in my "About me" section when I started this 4+ yrs ago have now all been checked off. Only thing left to complete this adventure is an airplane to fly! Soon...grasshopper. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment