Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, December 7, 2012

Fusible Link HOBBS 1624.0 hrs

When I started this, I had no idea what a fusible link was...so I thought, for the others out there in the same boat. Here is a quick primer on fusible links. I bought the handy kit that B & C Specialty Products offers...has everything you need to make several. I recommend you click on the link that says, pictorial on fusible link fabrication.
 
A fusible link is basically an economic way to provide an in-line fuse for circuit protection. For example, I have 22 ga wire...I add a small piece of 26 ga wire, cover it with rubber covered fiberglass sleeving and you're done. As B&C states, "In the rare instance where this device is called upon to do its job, all you get is a little smoke."
 
Now I wonder why I need an economic way to provide an in-line fuse (I mean how much can they cost?...a couple bucks?)...but that's another argument. This is an alternative, your choice how you want to go.
 


The finished product, under the heat shrink is a butt splice...


I spent some time reconfiguring my fuel pump drain. The plans say to use zip ties to fasten this. Although that is probably just fine, I wanted something a little more secure so I used adel clamps.
 
 

I started populating my Aveo switches in the panel...looking good eh?


Switch ground wires plugging into my "forest of tabs" ground block on the firewall.

1 comment:

  1. Are you adding service loops to the wires for your switches?

    ReplyDelete