Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, July 13, 2012

Sam James Cowl HOBBS 1385.0 hrs

I received my Sam James extended cowl a couple weeks ago...sometimes called the "Holy Cowl." There is plenty of debate whether this cowl is an improvement over the Van's stock cowl. Debate I'm not going to get into here...up to you which way to go on your plane. We'll see how it works out for me?

Quite honestly though, I went this route mostly because of the appearance. I just think this cowl, with the aluminum inserts, looks much sleeker than the Van's version. It looks like something you would see on a high end Cirrus. Cost is about the same either way.


Its a big shipping box...but as you might guess...very light. Kinda weird to pick up a box this big and have it be so light.



Notice the enforced area around the future oil door



What it will look like on the plane...the fiberglass work looks good, rumor has it that you have less pinholes with the SJ cowl vs. the Van's cowl. Wont know for sure until its painted.



It came with some extra fiberglass material and of course, the aforementioned alum rings

No comments:

Post a Comment