Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Friday, July 13, 2012

Engine Details HOBBS 1385.0 hrs

The engine is hung, as you've already read...going back in time, here are some pics of the stuff that came with it. I had one reader (Bob C.) ask what was in the box? Well, here is the answer.

First, a couple specs on the engine. It is an IO-375 from Aerosport Power in Kamloops, BC, Canada. It is rated at 195hp. The documentation that came with the engine did not show a dyno hp rating from testing. I called and asked about this, they stated that it had dyno-ed 198-202hp...which they said was "healthy" for this engine....I agree, a 200hp +/- 2hp engine sounds kinda nice doesn't it? I'm not entirely sure why this kind of data wasn't included with the engine...but I have my ideas why they wouldn't send it by default.


Lycoming engine manual...my engine is essentially the same as an IO-360-B1B. There isn't much information in here about installation or good pictures so don't get your hopes up...it covers mostly maintenance issues.


A packet containing several documents and informational brochures, including an engine log.



My Precision Silver Hawk fuel injection servo...nice looking piece of machinery.


Firesleeved hoses...although, not entirely sure what these are for yet...?


Oil sump heater installed by Aerosport...this should be plenty sufficient for Colorado winters (this isn't Minnesota or Wisconsin), a block heater is the other alternative, but would be overkill for me.



Oil filler/dipstick...this was protruding out of the top of the box when I got it, which seemed like a strange way to ship it...but hey, it worked.


A couple complimentary t-shirts...nice gesture by Aerosport Power


Auto plug wires for the dual P-mag system...this will save cost on buying aviation grade spark plugs and these supposedly work just as good.


Some hoses and decals came with the P-mag's...


A gasket and install kit for the prop governor...


Not sure yet what this cable harness is for?


Spark plug spacers to accommodate the auto plugs...spin these onto the spark plugs finger tight and then install the sub-assembly on the engine


8 plugs...two for each cylinder


Red touch up paint...which I have already used...it looks and applies like fingernail polish


60A Plane Power alternator


Lightweight SkyTech starter


Fuel distribution spider on top of the engine for the fuel injection system


90 deg spin on oil filter option...


The engine driven fuel pump on the left and mounting pad for the governor on the right


Wires hanging down for the oil sump heater...I taped these up so I don't accidentally damage them


A pic of one of the P-mag's...I went dual P-mag's...I debated one P-mag and one slick mag right up until the end. I just thought, if I am going to embrace this new technology, lets jump in with both feet. It remains to be seen if I regret this choice down the road...I do think they have stabilized the P-mag design quite a bit since the early models. For education...the difference between an E-mag and a P-mag is that the P-mag has its own backup power source in case of system electrical failure. You can read more about it on Emag Air's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment