Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Canopy Work and FWF Work Begins HOBBS 1252.0 hrs


Still pluggin' away on the canopy work. I hate sanding, so I only do a little at a time and then switch to a different task. Here you can see, I have added a coat of resin with West Systems 407 sandable filler (special kind of microballoons)...that's the rust color you see. The trick is to get just the right consistency, thin enough so it flows well but thick enough it stays where you put it. From my empennage work, I am getting pretty good at this.





After some sanding...I can see low spots pretty easily...I circled these with a sharpie in preparation for another coat of filler


And after application...getting closer


I went with the Grove reservoir and it takes a little bit of design change to make this system work. I borrowed this slick design from Roee Kalinsky. Very nicely done Roee! I didn't do it exactly like he did...thought the bracket he fabricated was a little overkill, but I did add a spacer as you can see.



Installing the contactor and relay under the battery box. Ignore my vertical spacing between the two...I made a slight mistake there and have them further apart than the plans show.

No comments:

Post a Comment