Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Its Official! HOBBS 810.5 hrs


Yesterday afternoon, after work, on a rare drizzly overcast day here in Boulder I went around the pattern 8 times in exactly one hour of flying time with my instructor Lyn in the backseat of the Citabria. And with that, I have now flown off my 15 hrs required for solo flight in the Citabria! I also got signed off for my tailwheel endorsement as the last formality. I expect Lyn would've signed me off long ago but since I couldn't fly solo for insurance reasons, we saved the signoff until the end. Either way, it was pretty cool...I am now officially a tailwheel pilot and I have to admit it feels pretty darn good! My choice to go with an RV7 has been completely and absolutely justified in my mind...tailwheel flying is a ton of fun to this ol' boy!

It was fitting that my last hour was easily my best hour. We practiced short field techniques, every landing was whisper smooth, and it was a kick in the pants. Days like that are what keep us pilots coming back for more. I was able to plop that plane down softly and get stopped before reaching the first taxiway on Rwy 26 at Boulder. Not sure exactly how far that is?...but as we went around the pattern we took a look from our lofty perch at 1000' and lets just say it wasn't much real estate...it looked like a postage stamp. Felt quite a bit of pride in my piloting skills when I seen it from above--of course with an assist from the airplane design and the 5 knot headwind.

Looking back on my training...wow, it was a steep learning curve and I cant help but think I've come a long way since that first flight. I still remember hoisting the tail on that first takeoff roll and watching with horror as the nose of the airplane veered to the left like it was a possessed predator chasing some imaginary prey off the side of the runway. As I was flying yesterday, I couldn't help but think how docile things have become...whats the big deal, the airplane now wants to track straight down the runway centerline all by itself, like an obedient horse with blinders on. Who learned...me? or did the airplane just magically decide to cooperate? ;)

The airplane no longer has a mind of its own, it now is an extension of my mind...and that's cool! It should be the aspiration of every pilot to be 'one' with his/her airplane, its not easy, and for maybe the first time I feel that way. I highly recommend tailwheel training to all pilots if you want to improve your piloting skills...I promise you, whatever your views are on this topic of tailwheel vs. tri-gear, it will make you a better pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment