Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, February 20, 2014

Panel Vinyl HOBBS 2662.0 hrs

 
After spending almost five years posting pretty religiously, I really have left you all high and dry the last couple months. I apologize for that. My only excuse is, when you get to this point in your build, you'll know what its like. Its crazy, I have been working like a dog lately! So many last minute details to tie up...so many things to get scheduled, etc. I also keep forgetting to grab my camera and bring it home to download pics. So...soon I will get that done so you can see what's going on in the Factory.
 
Here are a couple teaser iPhone shots from late last night, and they really don't do it justice, it actually looks better in reality. I disassembled the panel last week, painted everything--including a UV clear coat on my carbon fiber insert. I then ordered my panel vinyl from Aerographics in Loveland, CO, they were great to work with. As you can see, everything is finally going back together for hopefully the last time.
 
Just like the interior, I only had a vision in my head of what I wanted my panel to look like. To finally see it come to fruition is so satisfying, especially when you think to yourself..."nailed it!" These are the moments in the build that really rock and make all the hard work worth it. I had an ear to ear grin as I put this all together for the first time! I really dig how it came out, I couldn't stop staring at it. The vinyl is a matte red and the lettering is gray. I'll post more details on this process later.
 
Lastly, I am scrambling to get everything lined up for the next three weeks. My Dad is flying in at the end of February to help me get ready for first flight. Until then, I am  working on securing some scales for weight and balance next week. Bill, my hangar mate, is at the same stage as me now with his RV8 (he did his first engine start last weekend). He called a pitot-static/transponder guy and we're going try to get both our planes certified next week as well. While I do all of that, I am putting the plane back together for an anticipated first engine start this weekend. Before that however, I have checklist to work through:  fuel system leak test/flush the tanks/fuel flow test/add engine oil/add brake fluid.
 
Oh, and lining up my DAR in my free time. I have a list of things I need to get crossed off for him, before he arrives, as well...mostly paperwork.
 

Moments like this call for a cold beer to celebrate...we're getting real close now.

No comments:

Post a Comment