Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Wing Root Farings HOBBS 2434.0 hrs

 
I continue to get prepped for my wing mounting, I tackled installing the wing root fairings. No reason not to from what I can tell. As with almost everything these days though, what I thought would take a couple hours took much longer...about 5 total. The first wing took me almost three hours to do...the second about two. Ugh. This first pic shows the many nutplates that need to be installed. I will say I wasn't completely happy how these lay down when screwed...they tend to pillow up a little bit. I suspect this is a common problem inherent in the design.

 
Here is the fairing screwed into place...this is the bottom side as you can tell. The faring will screw to the wing and butt up against the fuse with the black rubber edge seal you see on finished RV's. I expect I may have to trim these during final fitting with the fuse.

 
This shot shows the top of the wing. So, the fairing covers the top of the wing in its entirety, wraps around the leading edge and about halfway across the bottom half...that's where the fuse will mate to the wing. When I mount my wings, I will need to match drill these last holes on the bottom (not shown)...remove the wing and then install the nutplates before remounting the wing permanently. Hard to describe in words but you'll see when I get to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment