Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, April 16, 2012

Engine on Order! HOBBS 1200.0 hrs


Today I made the call to Aerosport Power, talked to Bart & Sue, and officially ordered my engine. In 4-6 weeks I think I may be excited enough to cry when this puppy arrives...its not everyday you take delivery of a $30,000 chunk of equisite machinery that can only be an aircraft engine--because no other 4 cylinder, internally combusted, 195hp engine in the world costs this damn much! :) I may as well bask in its splendor, hell I may move it to my bedroom so I can sleep next to it. It is, the single most important part of a single engine aircraft after all, so I wasnt going to skimp on this purchase! This baby is top of the line.

This is what I settled on after plenty of research over many months (and even several seminars in OSH last year) on horizontal vs. vertical induction, P-mags vs. Slick mags, port and flow matching, preliminary electrical load calcs for alternator selection, mogas vs. avgas, etc...
  • IO-375-B1B (Vertical Induction)
  • 195+hp (8.5:1 compression) so I can run Mogas if desired
  • Red paint (duh...of course!)
  • Plane power lightweight 60 Amp alternator
  • 90 deg spin on filter
  • Oil sump heater
  • Dual P-mags with auto harness
  • Precision Silver Hawk Fuel Injection
  • Sky-Tec lightweight Inline Starter

1 comment: