Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Monday, May 9, 2011

Time for a Breakfast Run! HOBBS 658.0 hrs

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had been working pretty hard on the project lately and hadnt been flying with the guys in quite awhile. I figured I needed a shot in the arm, and what better way than to do some actual RV flying. So, after a quick text message to Scott, I was informed that he was in town and would be flying somewhere saturday morning (the 'Breakfast Club' as they call these regular outings--after the 80's movie) and that I was welcome to tag along. Our destination was our typical one, Barnstormers restaraunt in Greeley.

The flight was the perfect tonic, I ended up spending the entire day out there talking and looking at airplanes. I've said it before and I cant emphasize it enough, try and find some guys to go RV flying with during your build. I'm lucky to have these guys as friends. It is such a pick me up to see why we are slaving away in the shop. The end result, to have your own flying machine, will be worth it!

After breakfast, Scott and I went out and did a couple of instrument approaches as he is still learning his new EFIS system in preperation for getting his IFR ticket. I flew most of that time while he fiddled with the EFIS. For the first time, Scott let me land his airplane...twice!! :) What a treat, and a nice gesture on his part. I can only imagine its a heckuva thing to give the controls of your baby to another pilot...thanks Scott.

My thoughts on the landings. First let me paint the picture: I was obviously flying right seat and right hand stick--neither of which I have ever done before. Also, his plane doesnt have right side brakes, in the interest of saving weight. He worked the throttle and brakes if needed, so they were 'assisted' landings...a coordinated effort if you will.

My first one was pretty good, and I thought, wow...nothing to it. I cockily thought, an airplane is an airplane, they all pretty much fly the same right? The second one knocked my confidence back down a notch and humbled me a little as flying always seems to do. It wasnt as good but not horrible, I ballooned and then floated for awhile as I brought her back down with a slight thud. After we ballooned, I kept waiting for her to settle onto the runway but she just kept floating...of course, then I tried to force her onto the runway before she was ready, which is never a good thing. :) All in all, it was a blast...very much enjoyed the entire day.


Early morning sunlight streaming into the hangar...love this part of the day, especially out at the hangar


Gary tucking in off our right wing, after our loose formation takeoff. Front Range airport and tower in the background.


Enroute to Greeley. 39A has the lead, 9PZ is off our right wing...a little low. Formation flying is a kick!


This was our first 80 degree day in awhile, a gorgeous Colorado morning, so everybody was out flying...the ramp was littered with all types of flying machines. The pattern was packed (more on this later)!




Chuck's RV6, part of our breakfast club contingent...Chuck is putting the finishing touches on an RV10 right now.


Scott asks, "Burgers/Brats anyone?" We barbequed some lunch...and had a couple beers.


Hangar flying...


I noticed this coffee cup that Gary was drinking from at the hangar. 'Ingeniero' is spanish for Engineer. I said, thats a cool coffee cup and asked him where he got it? He said he couldnt remember? I didnt give it a second thought, a half hour later when he finished his coffee, he gave it to me as a gift. Very cool!! Good people...good friends, I like my new coffee cup and enjoyed the day, thanks guys. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment