Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, May 26, 2011

No Disassemble #5! HOBBS 689.0 hrs

Just a quick update on the weeks progress as I close in on 700 hrs, wow. After all the fun of assembling the aft fuselage and then match drilling the J-stringers, it was time to disassemble everything. It seems like I've done this before? ;)

Btw, the title of this post is a kinda funny reference to the cheesy 80's movie Short Circuit if you didn't pick up on that. :) The #5 reference will make more sense later when I unveil my final paint scheme.

I also finally drilled my tailwheel spring to the aft bulkheads, I wanted to think about this a little before I did it, which was the cause for my delay. Van's doesn't say much about getting that baby nice and straight so I have to expect it isn't that critical...but I sure did a lot of measuring to try and get it perfect. I also bought a nice digital level that came in pretty handy. I think it came out pretty good, at least it looks straight...I guess it will be noticeable if I didn't when I start taxing it and get a feel for the ground handling.

So, now its time for the 'debur-dimple-prime' dance that I enjoy oh so much ;)...and of course, finally putting it all back together for riveting. I have been thinking about my strategy on this riveting step...not sure if it is a one or two person job? I think I can get it by myself by being creative, but if not, I have a few people I could call. We'll see. I've got a lot going on in the next two weeks with the holiday weekend and a mini-vacation to go see my little sister graduate so I'm not sure how much time I will get on the plane, but I know it'll be here waiting for me when I'm ready for her. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment