Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bottom Wing Skins HOBBS 613.0 hrs

I have to admit, I am bouncing between fuselage work and finishing up the wings right now. I'll do a separate post for the fuse work. This one concerns my activities on the wings. I spent a few hours finishing up the interior details before riveting on the first bottom skin.



As I prepared to rivet my bottom skins solo, I knew that I would be using my tungsten bucking bar almost exclusively because of its small size. I also knew all of the riveting would be done "blind" so I wanted to protect the interior ribs and spar as much as possible while I did my work. That meant covering the edges of the bucking bar. I have used duct tape before and I have heard of some builders using old bicycle tubes. I came up with this idea, a large piece of shrink tube...hit it with the heat gun and voila, a nicely protected bucking bar.


I also wanted to put my new fuselage prints into blueprint "sticks". I checked on prices at a local blueprint supply store and they wanted $200 for a set of four!! Huh?! Screw that, I'm building an airplane and the 'can do' attitude that goes along with that. I bought some aluminum extrusions at the local hardware store that are used for door reveals for $6 each. Added some screws I had laying around and for a whopping $12 my prints are now secured nicely.


Here is how my wiring conduit, vent line coming from the ER tank and my pitot and AOA lines. Note: I should've put the conduit on the top of the wing to have it out of the way for riveting the bottom skins on. Although that was a bad  layout decision on my part, it still looks nice and professional. 


If you look close, in this photo you can see a custom bracket that I made (wrapped in shrink tube) to capture the pitot and AOA lines as they crossed past the bell crank. I wanted to ensure there was no possible way they could either interfere with the bell crank or rub on it.


Another closeup shot of the conduit and vent line running through the wing walk doublers.


And here is my first bottom skin (left side)...I'm about 2/3 of the way done in this photo. I got tired...its slow going and not easy. [On a side note: Don't ask me what I got on this wing skin?? I got something on it that doesn't want to come off?] Anyway, the riveting wasn't too bad but wasn't too fun either. Somewhere in between the two extremes. The 'solo' part was actually not bad...in fact I'm not sure two people would help much. Its very tight spaces and reaching blindly with your bucking bar. I cant imagine two people trying to squeeze into that space. Obviously the worst part is in between the wing walk doublers near the rear spar...it gets better as you progress from there. All I can say is its good I have pretty skinny arms!! :) Its tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment