Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Sunday, October 31, 2010

Productive Weekend HOBBS 358.0 hrs

Happy Halloween 2010! It was a productive weekend in the factory, the best I've had in awhile. Its kind of ironic, I was invited to two parties this weekend and turned them both down because I have been feeling a little under the weather. What a great oppurtunity to spend some quality time with the "Aluminum Mistress!" This thing aint gonna build itself after all. :) I spent 10 total hrs pluggin' away at the left aileron and the right fuel tank. Except for a 10-32 nut plate, the left aileron is done (need to order some more from Van's). And the bulk of the right fuel tank is now done. It was a lot of work, but very satisfying to see some good progress.

I had heard that as you progress in the build, Van's kind of stops 'holding your hand' and leaves more and more of the details up to the builder. Well, with the aileron I started to see this transition. I had to fill in the blanks with a few things on this sub assembly. That slowed me down a little and caused some head scratching and even a couple minor mistakes. The right aileron will go much quicker now that I know the process. Here are some pics for the weekend's work....


All interior parts acid etched, alodined and primed...you know the drill by now


Stiffeners back riveted into place, these babies really do a great job stiffening up the structure


All stiffeners are numbered and marked so that they go in their correct location where they were match drilled


One of the many fit checks...cleco it together, match drill, check fit and plan your assembly order



A shot of the nose rib interior structure with the water pipe counterbalance


Be sure to follow the instructions here, blind rivet the counterbalance pipe FIRST before riveting to the main spar...ask me how I know?


Van's was kind of vague about how to get these countersinks in the leading edge for the counterbalance. From what I could tell, they just said to install the blind flathead rivets and they would pull the material into a dimple?? I cleco-ed the counterbalance pipe (which has machine countersinks) in place, then took my dimple die...inserted it in the hole and smacked it with a soft mallet. Worked slick.


The result, a pretty flush flathead rivet considering where it is located. I can live with this.


Attach bracket in place for fit check, all systems go!


And there ya have it, an aileron. I gotta add the nut plate and tweak the trailing edge but other than that, its done.


And a shot of my right fuel tank...spent about five hours on it sunday. All interior ribs and one end rib done. Still have to install the capacitance plates, vent tube, end rib, access cover and the baffle/attach brackets but the hard part is over.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron,
    Just wanted to drop you a note and say "thanks" for the great blog. I'm just starting on my 7A wings now and your write-ups are a great help!
    Q: Any need for RTV on the aileron stiffners, similar to the elevators?
    MikeJ near Deadwood, SD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike, thanks for the comment/question and for reading along, glad you are enjoying the blog. I did use RTV on the elevators but chose not to on the aileron stiffeners. I am still not sure its needed, its one of those things that has been done by other builders, but with no real proof its needed or effective. Its your call, it cant hurt. Time will tell if I get cracks.

    ReplyDelete