Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, November 25, 2009

New Dynon Skyview HOBBS 160.0 hrs

As you may have noticed, the project has been slowing down for me. My strategy is to pay for the entire airframe with cash, which will serve as my down payment, to finance the completion of the project. So...there will be a small lull in activity while I save money for the wings.

I have been working on the tips here and there. They're looking nice, I think I am going to like the finished results. I'll post more on this later as I near completion.

So, when not building, the next best thing is dreaming/planning paint schemes, cockpit designs and avionics. Which, I gotta say, is quite fun! The avionics out there on the market for kit built planes is utterly amazing these days. I plan to have a 'glass' cockpit in my plane. For several reasons: #1, I have flown a G1000 and am amazed at the added safety these systems CAN add to your flying. You still need to practice good situational awarenesss and see and avoid techniques, but adding the features a glass panel provides is key for safe flying. #2, glass cockpits are definitely the future of aviation. And #3, I am a 'tech geek' and these glass panels are really cool!

I am considering several MFD (Multi Function Display) and PFD (Primary Flight Display) options. I think I have narrowed it down to two companies.

The first is Advanced Flight Systems. I really like their new Advanced DECK.

Advanced Flight Systems

Second is the new Dynon Skyview. This just came out this year at Sun-n-Fun. Dynon has been around in the kitplane market for quite some time and most of the guys have had nothing but good things to say about them. Namely, they seem to have great value for the money, homebuilders love that! :) I personally didnt like the look of their previous flight displays...frankly, they look kind of cheap. But this one changes that, the look of this new one is much more professional in its styling. It appears that Dynon is growing up and ready to play with the big boys in the market. That, along with their good track record in the homebuilt market, has me interested.


Both of these have the capability of using SV (Synthetic Vision), which is on my wish list. This is when you can see the 'virtual' landscape of the geography you are flying over right on your flight display, no matter the visibilty outside. Another great safety feature to have and also the way of the future. You can see it in action on the Dynon video.

Happy Turkey Day 2009!!! ...KPR (Keep Pounding Rivets!)

No comments:

Post a Comment