Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Saturday, October 3, 2009

Shop Improvements HOBBS 127.5 hrs

I took a little time away from plane building to add a few things to the shop that I have been thinking about for awhile. Its one of those things that you know will make the job easier but you also dont want to stop progress on the plane, so I kept putting it off. Now that its done, very pleased with the improvements. I should've done these things earlier.

This is a drawer I added to the workbench. I had some ball bearing drawer slides laying around from a past project that I was wanting to put to use. Since I dont have enough room in my small shop for a peg board to store tools, I constantly have tools laying around on the benchtop. I found a solution with this drawer. Now I can store all of my air tools and other commonly used tools and have them at my fingertips. At the end of the day, they go back in the drawer and I have a clean work space. I now have been using this for over a week and absolutely LOVE it!

Its heavy duty 2x6 and 3/4" plywood glued/screwed construction, probably a little bit overkill but I like it...it feels substantial. :)

This gives you an idea of the stuff I am storing in it. Air tools, bucking bars, cleco's, nitrile gloves, dies, paint brushes, composite mixing sticks and sandpaper.

This is a 2x6 block I created to hold my rivet gun die sets, as you can see, plenty of room to add tools as needed.

I bought some plastic scrap pieces at a local plastic supplier in Boulder. I put some of it to use to make a cleco holder. I really got a kick out of the way this turned out. It kinda looks artistic to me...I could make a poster out of this. I know, I must be some kind of dork! haha

And here is one more small holder for drill bits and countersinks. And yes, I think this looks cool too!

No comments:

Post a Comment