Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Shop...Part One

The Aircraft Factory is taking shape. I have been working on converting my garage into an aircraft workshop over the last couple months. I am only about halfway done, but the half I have done is looking pretty good. My garage was insulated, drywalled and taped but that was it. So I spent some time texturing the walls and painting. I hung some storage shelves from the ceiling to get some boxes off the floor. Also hung some flourescent shop lights and painted the floor with one of those fancy expoxy kits from Home Depot. After prepping the garage, then came the fun part, work table construction...I wanted it sturdy so I went with 4x4's, 2x6's and 1/4" lag bolts. Mission accomplished, it is definitely sturdy and should serve me well. I also leveled it since the garage floor is sloped, dont want crooked control surfaces! As you can see, my clamps are already coming in handy...which is nice when you are working alone. I chose a Melamine top for a nice work surface, cost a little more (about $15) but I figured it will be well worth it for all the time I will spend out here. It turned out well so I was happy with the choice. As you can see, had to add some aviation themed posters also. This is going to be not only my aircraft workshop but also a sort of aviation themed clubhouse for



me...I'm digging it! I already spend my spare time sitting out there after getting home from work!! :) After building the main work table, I added on another table to hold all (or almost all...ran out of room for the bench grinder darnit!) of my new table top tools. Looks like a 'Ryobi' commercial doesnt it! haha! That is the tool of choice at Home Depot where I seem to be doing all of my shopping. So anyway, these are the first pics...I have since added some nice features that I will show you in the next post.





No comments:

Post a Comment