Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Panel Work HOBBS 1565.0 hrs

I needed a break from messing around with the baffle/plenum, it was wearing me down, so I decided to start getting things mounted in and behind the panel. My first order of business was cutting a clearance hole for my Garmin SL40 radio since it is too long to fit in the space provided. This design is silly to me...why Van's has the sub-panel so close to the panel is beyond me. Almost every builder has to hack the sub-panel up in some way to make the radios fit.


Here you can see, I have it in place to mark the location for the hole...


And after some cutting with the die grinder...we have a clearance hole for the comm.


A view from the backside


Placing the SkyView and GDU 375 in place so I can make layout plans for several electronic boxes that need to mount behind the panel. 


And yes, as you can see, I still haven't removed my seats...I kind of like looking at 'em. ;) I need to get them out of there soon though before I do something to damage them.


I made sure I had nice flat surface (no bowing) on my panel support. I then reattached the support pieces (green primer) that I cut off earlier in the project. You can see one of them in the shot below. I had to strategically reposition these to get around my EFIS/GPS units.


The biggest electronic box I needed to mount behind the panel was my Vertical Power red box, so I tackled that first. I used a scrap piece of fuel tank baffle material to make a shelf. Worked good. Keep in mind, anything you mount has to be able to withstand +6/-3 G's. 

More to come next week...my EMS module and the GDL39 module will be next. I will probably mount my remote second PS Engineering comm and the remote transponder behind the baggage compartment bulkhead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment