Ron's RV7 Aircraft Factory


Welcome to my personal blog. This site was created as an informal description of my build progress in the construction of a Van's RV7 aircraft. A place where family/friends/builders/curiosity seekers can follow along. It is not intended to be a detailed description of every step in the building process as that would be much too time consuming. There are plenty of sites that do a great job in that arena, that is not my intention with this site. My intention is for this to be a philisophical/motivational/inspirational account of the emotional ups and downs of the life changing journey...and it will change your life. I hope this will give you an idea, through my eyes, of what its like to make this transformation. A note to other builders, I am not an expert so do not put your safety at risk by attempting anything you see on this site until you have done your own research, or send me an email so we can discuss it. Any deviations from the plans are not approved, nor endorsed by Van's Aircraft or myself. Thanks for visiting.



Thursday, June 14, 2012

Engine Mount HOBBS 1317.0 hrs

A quick update on the procurement front....lots of activity lately. The engine, after some lengthy mail delays...did you know that priority mail from Oklahoma to Canada takes 12 days?? That's how long my check took to arrive from the bank. Holy moly, I could've walked it up there faster! Anyhow, it is officially shipping today--June 14th, 2012. Of course if regular mail took that long...who knows when it will arrive by freight? But...it is coming...finally...my excitement is off the charts! 

Here are some other highlights of other activity that has been going on in the factory procurement department.
  • Exhaust system from Larry Vetterman arrived about a month ago
  • Sam James extended cowling ships today, also...30 day lead time on this so it was ordered a while ago
  • Classis Aero Design (CAD) order placed May 13th...estimated completion Aug. 13th...be aware, long lead on this interior
  • Whirlwind 200G-CS prop on order...estimated delivery June 25th...this was a 6 week lead time
  • Sam James plenum ordered today...no ETA on delivery yet
  • 10" SkyView EFIS (electronic flight information system), backup battery, ADAHRS, and the SV32 servo motors for the AP ordered from SteinAir (got a $530 price break on these from the VAF forums--they are new but opened by a customer that changed his mind). Should be arriving shortly...another one I am very excited to get my hands on
  • Ordered a non-symmetrical panel insert (see pic) from Aerosport Products. I think it is a little overpriced, but gosh, I really fell in love with the look and layout and couldn't resist. I was planning to do my own...very similar design...I had even modeled some ideas in SolidWorks...but in the end, I knew that this one would be higher quality than what I could do by hand. Also, it has the exposed carbon fiber look, which I really like...and lastly I don't feel like spending the extensive labor doing my own. I am at a point in the project where I would rather pay someone to do it than delay my first flight even longer. Picture that panel with red anodized inserts...oh baby, that's gonna be hot!
http://www.aerosportproducts.com/


In other activity...I got my engine mount back from the powder coater. I had him try to match my SW paint chip the best he could...this is the result...I'm happy with how it came out. I also did my battery box and the wheel pants brackets since they will be exposed to the elements quite a bit...same batch cost so why not? If you are curious, I just scotch bright-ed the original powder coat...I did not strip it, then had the painter go right over the top of it.


And of course, now that the engine mount is powder coated...it was time to get Wablosa back on her gear...for good. I final torqued and cotter pinned all the bolts/nuts and she is good to go. Don't forget your two washer spacers on the two middle/bottom bolts. I used some aircraft grade 'fender' washers and drilled out the hole to fit the larger bolts.

And yes, the motorcycle is indeed mine...over the memorial day weekend I bought myself a "hangar commuter vehicle". :) My first motorcycle...I've always wanted one and finally decided to buy one...you only live once right? Its a Yamaha VStar 650...low miles and cheap...but looks nice...and I am loving it so far!




Threw a coat of filler primer on the canopy. Looking good, but it will need more work...plenty of imperfections and low spots that magically appeared once I painted it. I will most likely wait on this or have the painter do it...kinda tired of sanding this bugger right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment